GALATA Monastery - Iasi

GALATA  Monastery

Iasi, 4 Manastirii Street, Iasi county. Convent for nuns.
Dedication day: “The Lord's Ascension”, 40 days after Easter.

The monastic establishment was founded by Petru Schiopu Voivode two times: the first time, it was constructed and in an isolated area right “at the foot of the hills”, “right alongside the pond” between 1577 and 1578 – but the establishment collapsed soon afterwards. The second time, as the well-known Moldavian chronicler Grigore Ureche informs us, since the voivode “did not wish to abandon his alms (good deed), i.e., the Galata Monastery, which had been situated in the valley, which he himself had founded and which had collapsed, in all earnestness had another monastery erected in the hills this time, which would also be called the Galata Monastery”. The construction was completed between 1582 and 1584.
Only the church has been preserved in its original shape. This church, which was an impressive piece of architecture, quite different from any other building of the kind, bears witness to the characteristics and peculiar influences that the Moldavian architecture underwent beginning with the last decades of the 16th century.
Over the succeeding centuries, the establishment suffered rather malicious neglect and was severely damaged by several fires and earthquakes. A few segments of the old paintings inside the church (which had probably been destroyed by the great fire in 1762) have been preserved under the subsequent layers of painting. The church was repainted by Master Vasile Dubrovski in 1811.
After an inventory that was carried out in 1588, the holy establishment was wed by Petru Schiopu Voivode, its founder, with many goods and jewels (which were either lost or wasted away). The present-day enclosure wall was built in 1735. Inside the monastery, several constructions had fallen into ruin and later on other constructions had to be erected, according to the necessities of the time: palaces, residential buildings, even a hospital which was (which was probably built around 1811). The civil constructions that had been erected between 1799 and 1801 burned down in 1814, and were restored in a different architectural manner in 1847.
In 1960, the Metropolitanate of Moldavia, supported by state funding, and initiated extensive repairs and restoration activities on some of the monastic structures. The enclosure wall, the belfry tower, as well as the lowest parts of the towers were thoroughly consolidated, while the roof was completely reconstructed. The exceptional value of this monument of architectural art became obvious only after the restoration activities had been completed.
The holy establishment was revived in 1996. In the same year, there were inaugurated the following monastery workshops: an embroidery workshop, a workshop for manufacturing sacerdotal attire, and a workshop for painters.

Category: Monasteries of IASI
Added: Aug 29, 2010
Articole similare
Users login
Contact Us


Resurse ortodoxe: - Contine o bogata colectie de resurse ortodoxe audio/video/text: predici, rugaciuni, carti, conferinte, icoane, filme.
Agentia de stiri "Noutati ortodoxe": - Ofera stiri si informatii din viata bisericii ortodoxe, evenimente religioase, conferinte, aparitii editoriale. Stirile pot fi preluate si de alte site-uri prin intermediul unui script.
Maica Domnului: - Preacinstire pentru Maica Domnului - Prea Curata Fecioara Maria.
Biblia ortodoxa: - Site de prezentare a bibliei ortodoxe, talcuiri, articole. Ofera Evanghelia si Apostolul zilei.
Biblia audio: - Varinta audio partiala a bibliei ortodoxe.
Portal ortodox online:
Calendar ortodox: - Calendar ortodox pentru anul curent generat dinamic cu icoana zilei; poate fi preluat de alte site-uri prin intermediul unui script.
Ascetica ortodoxa: - Articole de cultura ortodoxa: religie, filozofie, stiinta.
Orthodox portal: - A presentation of the orthodox romanian treasure.